Monday, September 28, 2009

Better Than a Hamster Wheel

About a month ago, Ken and I purchased a brand new treadmill with a little financial assistance from the folks. And what I mean by "folks" is my ever-so ready to help you get thin and out of your maternity clothes that you've been wearing ever since you had a baby five months ago mother. Although the concept of being "thin" is somewhat abstract and foreign to me I have, in fact, been using the treadmill regularly and have discovered - or rather re-discovered - that I HATE running. I love the idea of running but the actual running part pretty much sucks.

The first time I decided to use that torturous conveyor belt I felt as though my body was not my own. I could have sworn my legs used to work properly and that at one point in my life running didn't cause my lungs to spontaneously combust. It was utterly and unequivocally pathetic. However, I am proud to say that after running for 30 minutes three times a week for the last month, my performance has improved dramatically even if my attitude towards running hasn't.

The one great thing about a treadmill is that it keeps you moving whether you want to or not; all you have to do is stay on. Maybe one day I will come to love running. Okay, probably not. Love? No. But tolerate? It's possible. One can only hope. Wish me luck (because I need it)!

J

3 comments:

  1. I've reached the awkward phase where I'm not ready for real clothes yet but my maternity clothes are baggy... hopefully it's a short phase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blech...I've pretty much been in that phase since I had Russ. May your phase be much much shorter than mine (cross those fingers).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, I just started reading your blog. Sorry I didn't get to it sooner. I love it! Hopefully I'll have the time for many more reads. By the way, I don't stay in my maternity clothes too long because I've accumulated many "fat" clothes after 4 pregnancies. May we both see a day soon where our maternity or "fat" clothes may be banished from our closets forever!

    ReplyDelete