Tuesday, April 13, 2010

She Ain't Heavy, She's My Sister

I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be able to run, jump, swim, ride and hike for your entire life and then in one fell swoop - one tragic moment lose that ability indefinitely. How would I react? I have no idea. I can only hope that I would have the courage and determination that my best friend and dear cousin, Katie, has right now because, unfortunately, she has experienced that tragic moment; due to a freak ATV accident she has lost the ability to feel or move anything from her chest down.

It sounds trite and somewhat cliche but I really didn't believe it when my Aunt called me to tell me the news. No way. Her body's just in shock right now - she'll be able to move things perfectly in a few hours. But I guess that's not exactly the way a broken neck and extensive spinal cord damage works...unfortunately.

She was flown into emergency in the Foothills Hospital and, thankfully, I was able to spend the night with her there as her parents wouldn't be able to fly in until the next morning. She joked about how "awesome" it was that we would get to spend a lot of time together now and we chuckled over the fact the EMTs had to cut away her favorite shirt but at least she didn't have holes in her underwear because that would be soooo embarrassing. I held her hand until she was wheeled into the operating room to get some beautiful hardware installed in her neck to repair the fractures. Titanium plates and screws - the newest accessory for Spring was her last joke and I laughed and cried a little at her optimism.

The surgery went well and I am so incredibly happy to say that after surgery, a lung collapse, countless IV bags of dopamine, saline, albumin etc..., oxygen masks, arterial lines, central lines, intubation, respiratory therapy, "Moaning Myrtle" down the hall, low blood pressure, high blood pressure and many many prayers, Katie has taken some big steps on the road to recovery. It's been twelve days but, man, does it ever feel like that accident happened a lifetime ago.

I still believe in miracles - even the slow ones that you have to work like hell for. And every inch of me is pleading that she be one of that 10% that is able to walk again. But if not....well...I'm a very patient person and I think I can wear God down...hahaha!! Think you can help me out?

J

2 comments:

  1. NO WAY! OMGOSH! I can't believe that happend to Katie! My prayers are with her. When you see her again, tell her I'm thinking about her and praying that she be blessing in this tragedy.

    Thanks for this post Jane! I'm so glad I can keep up with you through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should learn to read what I write before posting it..... I meant to say blessed, not blessing. Yeesh!

    ReplyDelete