Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Luke" Vetoed

They say that speaking to your baby whilst he/she is still in the womb will help the baby recognize your voice and, therefore, make bonding after birth more seamless. This piece of information was reiterated to Ken and I at our last prenatal class and since then, Ken has made more of a conscious effort to speak to the baby through the many protruding layers of my stomach.

I soon discovered, however, that Ken's version of "bonding" was speaking to the baby in a hypnotic, Darth Vaderesque voice and telling him how much better his Daddy is than his Mommy. For example,

Ken: Hellooooo baby. This is your Daddy speaking. Listen to MY voice and not to
Mommy's because Mommy doesn't love you as much as I do. Mommy is always
complaining about you kicking her in the ribs but if you were kicking ME in the ribs I
would consider it a great privilege. Did you know that -OUCH.....!

And this is when I might let Ken know what the baby kicks feel like by poking him mercilessly in the ribs. Now the baby will learn to distinguish between that imposter, Darth Vader, and the common wimperings of his real father.

J

1 comment: