Monday, May 30, 2011

The Fountain of Death

When we moved into our house we discovered that the previous owners had left a few "gifts" behind for us. Some were pleasant: mirrors, floating shelves and curtains. While others were, shall we say, pretty crappy. No, I mean, literally crappy. When we viewed the house in December, the backyard was covered in snow so we had no idea until the snow melted that the entire backyard was littered with mounds and mounds of dog feces! They must have had four dogs or one really big mother...you know what I mean...to leave that much crap laying around. Ken spent two hours one Saturday raking it up and only managed to clean 1/4 of the yard. I have to give Ken some big props though because the next Saturday he spent nearly the entire day in the backyard and cleaned it up so nicely. So now we are poop free but have yet to be rid of the giant yellow grass spots left behind by copious amounts of dog urine. I'm sure in another year...or two the grass will be back to normal, but in the mean time, things are a little patchy.

The other thing that the previous owners left behind was a giant lion-head fountain in the front entryway. Yes, you heard me - GIANT LION HEAD FOUNTAIN! This thing is the bane of my existence. At first it was a quirky novelty. We would turn on the "scary" (Russell didn't seem to enjoy the lion head) fountain to surprise guests. Ken, especially, got a kick out of filling it up and turning it on for special occasions. However, my relationship with the fountain soon turned sour when a certain little person decided it was a fun new toy (after he quickly overcame his fear of the monster). Now everything goes in the fountain: running shoes, PB & J sandwiches, hands, feet, sippy cups, cousins and diapers. It drives me nuts! This concrete, tacky, monstrosity has to go...and soon...or I will not be a happy camper. Cross your fingers for me that it will be gone by this weekend. Then all I'll have to deal with is a giant hole in the wall. No biggy.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment