Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A New Love

I have just recently discovered a television gem that has somehow eluded my notice for the last six months. It's a show on History Television (right there is a sign that it's gotta' be great) called Ancients Behaving Badly. It is an eight part series that applies a modern analytical approach to some of classical history's most infamous rulers. The show seeks to investigate historical figures like Nero, Julius Caesar and Genghis Khan and applies physical testing, archaeology and a modern knowledge of the sciences from toxicology to ballistics to re-appraise their lives in order separate fact from fiction. I have always loved history - even the boring parts - and this show consistently keeps me glued to the screen. So far I have seen episodes featuring Julius Caesar, Caligula, Hannibal and Attila the Hun but am greatly looking forward to Nero, Genghis Khan, Cleopatra and Alexander the Great. I am crossing my fingers that after they are finished with the more sinister Classical "bad boys (and girls)" that they'll move into the Middle Ages. Here's hoping!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment