Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Remember the Alamo!

So it turns out that Ken, the goober and I are going to be heading off to Texas for six months at the beginning of May! Ken needs to go there, Houston that is, for work as part of his training rotation so, naturally, Russ and I are going along for the ride. I wasn't terribly fond of the idea at first but now I'm actually excited to go. It's only six months and it will be interesting to compare the differences/similarities between Calgary and Houston. I mean, it's not like we're going off to some far-off foreign country right?

Quotes I associate with Texas off the top of my head: "I'm an oil man;" "...black gold, Texas tea;" "Remember the Alamo!" "All my exes live in Texas...; "If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell;" "Everything's bigger in Texas;" "Saskatchewan is much like Texas except it's friendlier to the United States." That's all I can think of right now.

I'm sure I have a lot of misconceptions about that big ol' State but six months of living there should educate me. Plus, the apartment we're staying in has a dishwasher!!

-J

4 comments:

  1. I love that the part you seem most excited about is the dishwasher! I remember waiting to move into our apartment in Chilliwack which had our first dishwasher and I seriously dreamed about that dishwasher until we moved in! I'm excited for you it'll be a great adventure! YAY! When do you guys move?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think May 2nd but we haven't worked out all the details yet. I am definitely excited to go (and yes the dishwasher was a selling feature) but I'm sad to miss six months with my newest little nephew (Jenny's baby, Sean). They change so quickly when they're that little. Oh well...that's what pictures are for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Texas? Did you know that Dan Lancaster and his wife are living down there right now? Maybe you'll run into each other... but Texas is a pretty big state. I hope you have a good time away! You'll never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time! My brother has been in Austin for almost 10 years and he really loves it. He is a cold weather chicken now though. Body adjusted too much. This time Texas! Next time The Netherlands! Scotland! Bali!

    ReplyDelete